Lesley Lutomski wrote:
Thanks to all who have replied.

As far as "don't do it" goes, you're preaching to the converted here, but I don't seem to be able to get the message through to my clients.

The clients in question are a committee (first problem!), who all say "Oh, I know nothing about computers/the internet" but at the same time refuse to be guided. Referring them to usability articles is a non-starter, because they'll just not look at them. I've tried reducing the arguments to very basic, non-technical issues, but my powers of persuasion are apparently lacking.

Given that I can't afford to turn down the work, I'll take on board the points folk have made here and promise to do the least-awful job on it I can!

Thanks again.

Lesley

Are they business people? Then use business language. Talk about their marketing/advertising/ and the budget and the daily work, 24/7, at achieving their brand/image that goes on by everyone at the organisation. That if someone has a bad experience, it has a bigger then expected negative impact: they will tell 20 people. That background music is an instant bad experience, and will undo at least half of the work they have achieved so far. Give it to them in numbers, so they know it is a monetary loss.

Kat