Hi

Give them all the background information that people have listed here. WCAG,
usability info etc. If they still decide they want it, do as the client
instructs. Make sure you code in a simple off switch configuration option
into the site and when they want to change it, turn it off while counting to
10 backwards.
Sometimes clients are like that episode of the Simpsons when Bart repeatedly
burns his hand on the stove.

You could also try doing an A/B test and provide some results to them for
sound / no sound -- traffic, clicks, time on site etc. see:
http://www.usertesting.com/.

Cheers
James