Hi Dan,

As far as I'm aware, this is still necessary.  However, if you're
doing a huge replacement of & to & you can use BBEdit or (the free
version) Text Wrangler to find and replace over multiple files.
(However this program is only available on the mac--I'm not sure if
Windows/Linux has a similar application.)

If you need a hand with using BBEdit/Text Wrangler, feel free to drop
me a line  :)

Cheers,
Jelina