I must offer a contrary view to Edward!

Any page that requires a user with normal vision to have to zoom on any device is, in my view, a sign of a really badly designed page on a really smart device.

Pixels can be regarded as a proportional measure since pixel density varies between screens. Ems are proportional to the size of text you're using - and that's generally the thing you want to be proportional to.

For me, line thickness can justifiably given in pixels (and that's mainly because 'thin' means 1px in the standards browsers and a different measure, 2px, in you-know-which browser). Image sizes should always be specified in the markup, so that's in pixel sizes too. Apart from that, it's ems all the way for me.

Phil.

Edward Lynn wrote:
Modern browsers now implement page zoom, and so using ems for me is becoming
unnecessary. I get much better x-browser control with px's and so that is
the direction im moving in

Ed