On 17 Aug 2010, at 16:49, jeffrey morin wrote:

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the book, HTML5 FOR WEB DESIGNERS by Jeremy Keith is worth the purchase? I want to learn more about HTML5 but am turned off by the shameless promotion they've done for this book. Does anyone have any suggestions on other books or if this is worth it?

Depends what you want it for. I've not read it, but I heard it was a good primer to introduce you to the topic. It is a fairly short book, so doesn't go indepth.

There is another book, "Introducing HTML5" - introducinghtml5.com - which is more indepth. It covers the semantics and such in the first half and the JS APIs, Cavas and such in the second half. I've just started reading this, but it is by all accounts a good book. A disclaimer is that I work with one of the authors at Opera.

Thanks,
Jeff

David Storey

Chief Web Opener / Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly
W3C WG:  Mobile Web Best Practices / SVG Interest Group

Opera Software ASA, Oslo, Norway
Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32 / E-Mail/XMPP: dsto...@opera.com / Twitter: dstorey