> Umm. In your particular case, 'domain-name' would be 'site.com'. I
> believe Thierry meant you to use -
>
> a[href*="site.com"] {...}
>
> Is that what you tried?
>
> Cordially,
> David
> --

I thought I did, but I guess I didn't as I kept thinking absolute path
therefore it must start with "http://";

It overwrites [href^="http"] rule though.

I have this:
a[href*="site.com"] {color: #e21;background: #555;}

Then I added this thinking this will tell the browser to give external link
with a white background, but all links are with white background.

[href^="http"]{color: #e21;background: #fff;}

The http overrules the one with "site.com" value.

According to the specs,
[att^=val]
Represents an element with the att attribute whose value begins with the prefix
“val”.

[att$=val]
Represents an element with the att attribute whose value ends with the suffix
“val”.

[att*=val]
Represents an element with the att attribute whose value contains at least one
instance of the substring “val”.

Unless I can be certain external links will never share a same word with the
site domain name, it's not very safe to use the attributes.

tee