On 10 Nov 2010, at 22:34, cat soul wrote:

> Any thoughts on which we ought to be using

HTML, since it works in IE < 9 without having to pretend it is HTML.

4.01, since it is a stable recommendation with mature QA tools (unless you have
a need for features added in HTML5 and are willing to life on the bleeding edge)

Strict, unless you need something only offered by Transitional (in which case
think twice as not being in Strict is a clue that you probably shouldn't use
something).

> , and what information ought to be up at top of an HTML page, along with
> <!DOCTYPE>, etc?

Title is mandatory.

Meta charset if you think people are more likely to view a locally saved copy
of the document than a copy that has gone through a transcoding proxy.

Links to any stylesheets.

Scripts that need to run before the page has finished loading.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk