On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, cat soul wrote:

Any thoughts on which we ought to be using, and what information ought to be up at top of an HTML page, along with <!DOCTYPE>, etc?

   The first line should be a doctype. I recommend either 4.01 strict
   or HTML5.

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>
    or
      <!DOCTYPE html>

   In the HEAD you need a TITLE element.

   You probably also want a charset declaration, e.g.:

   a link to a stylesheet:

     <link href="body.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

   a description META tag:

      content="Chris F.A. Johnson's home page: Web design, Chess, Unix shell, Cryptic
Crosswords, Books">

   Then the BODY.

   And always check your page with <http://validator.w3.org/>.

--