On 8/23/11 12:53 AM, Mike Kear wrote:

I guess it's going to take another law suit like that one against the
Olympics2000 site to get anyone to take users with special needs seriously
and actually lift a finger to cater to their needs.

What would that "lift a finger" actually consist of?

I'm specifically curious how that relates to the many individual
site developers who certainly don't "have a usability lab" nor
projects budgeted to hire a screen-reader-wielding consultant.

The conclusion I'm being forced towards is that developers are basically
saying that users with special needs will have to swim for themselves and
it's up to them to find some software of their own to get around all the
obstacles the A/Bs put in their way.

Are you saying that sites designed to web standards are by default
full of "obstacles"? Or that conformance to web standards is simply
orthogonal to accessibility?

--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- has...@webtuitive.com
webtuitive design ===  (+1) 408-621-3445   === http://webtuitive.com