Hi

I've been discussing the mailto link with other designers on LinkedIn and
wonder what the opinions of other standards based designers are.

The original question had to do with the contact form. I suggested that
many people don't like contact forms and prefer to email directly from
their mail client.

One response was that an email link follow through to a contact form as
some users will be disconcerted when their default mail client opens
unexpectedly. The point being that the savvy user will know to copy the
email address and paste it in their client if they don't want to use the
form. I use Gmail and tend to copy the email but I'm not copying the
visible link I'm using the browser's option of copying the actual link.

My argument is that I don't expect an email link to take me to another page
and I instinctively feel I'm being led by the nose to do what the web
designer wants not what I expect to happen. My rule of thumb is that a web
page should do what's expected rather than what's expedient. Its not my job
to cater for people's inadequacies, that's the browser's job.

Another suggestion was that we should cater to the desires of the client.
Unfortunately this could be likened to having a car designed by the
salesman rather than the car manufacturer. I don't think there is a simple
way to get the mailto link to open in a web based client (though there may
be browser specific options).

Chris.Price
@Choctaw.co.uk <http:\\choctaw.co.uk>
0777 629 0227

Design is my native language

Choctaw Media Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales (04627649)