On 3 January 2012 20:51, Chris Price <chris.pr...@choctaw.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been discussing the mailto link with other designers on LinkedIn and
> wonder what the opinions of other standards based designers are.
>
> The original question had to do with the contact form. I suggested that many
> people don't like contact forms and prefer to email directly from their mail
> client.

A mailto link is a mailto link; a contact form is a contact form.  They are two
separate entities.

I'm not bothered by using either, although I tend not to pursue matters
where the on-line presentation is a contact form and no other reasonable
form of communication.  I prefer to be able to find at least a full address
and email on the site, and that the email address pertains to
the correct domain.  I don't count premium rate telephone numbers as a
reasonable form of alternative communication.

> One response was that an email link follow through to a contact form as some
> users will be disconcerted when their default mail client opens
> unexpectedly. The point being that the savvy user will know to copy the
> email address and paste it in their client if they don't want to use the
> form. I use Gmail and tend to copy the email but I'm not copying the visible
> link I'm using the browser's option of copying the actual link.

It  has always been the default behaviour of the mailto link to fire the local
user mail client;  likewise I often lift the actual email address off the site
and use it without recourse to a default mail client.

> My argument is that I don't expect an email link to take me to another page
> and I instinctively feel I'm being led by the nose to do what the web
> designer wants not what I expect to happen. My rule of thumb is that a web
> page should do what's expected rather than what's expedient. Its not my job
> to cater for people's inadequacies, that's the browser's job.

A properly formed mailto link doesn't open up a web page, it triggers the local
mail client.  I would regard creating a link to a contact form using an email
address as the link text to be both a misleading presentation of information,
however mild, and a poor use of information.

> Another suggestion was that we should cater to the desires of the client.
> Unfortunately this could be likened to having a car designed by the salesman
> rather than the car manufacturer. I don't think there is a simple way to get
> the mailto link to open in a web based client (though there may be browser
> specific options).

I think it is quite simple; a contact page, with names, address(es), telephone
numbers, email address(es) and a contact form with a select option on the
email address to use where multiple email addresses are available.

For any business transaction, I would want to see the name of the company,
a contact address and a non-premium rate telephone number.  Then I can
decide how to contact the company particular;y in the event of any problems.

For anything else, at least an email address should be provided and contact
forms are more acceptable there.  I still feel there should be some
form of contact address available on the site.

Regards

Lesley