On 04/09/2014 21:37, Joe Taylor wrote:
> Hi Bill and all,
Hi Joe,

>> Hope the travels were enjoyable, I gather from Dave G4RGK that the WX in
>> France wasn't too pleasant.
> Some rain, to be sure.  But we had a delightful time nevertheless!
>
> Thanks for detailing the remaining issues you're aware of in WSJT-X v1.4.
>
> I'm working on bringing the User Guide up to date.  I should be able to
> post a new version soon.  It will be accessible to those who are
> compiling v1.4 for themselves.
>
> I was not aware that we had CAT problems that can affect all users.  (I
> haven't seen any examples of frequency walking up/down the band on my
> TS-2000, but admittedly my usage represents a small sample.)
I may be too closely focused on the faults, it is hard to gauge how many
users will see a degradation with respect to v1.3. My main concern is
that many issues will give v1.4 a bad name and whilst being inundated
with issues to fix we will not have the bulk of users upgrading.

> As for the problems with FT817/857/897 and HRD... Couldn't we specify up
> front that these issues are there, and warn users that might be affected
> that they might want to delay upgrading to v1.4 a bit longer?
We can certainly do that and as far as the HRD issue is concerned it
probably effects v1.3 just as badly so v1.4 may be neutral for HRD
users. Too a certain extent the Yaesu FT817/857/897 is broken in v1.3
too in that split doesn't work so again may be neutral.

> It seems to me that v1.4 is significantly better than v1.3 for many --
> probably most? -- users.  Certainly I'm happy to be using it myself.
> Wouldn't it be helpful to start getting some user feedback on it, pretty
> soon?
I guess I am afraid that a neither large number of defect reports nor a
low uptake on upgrades will do us any good. As for feedback, in the last
week or so there has been much more feedback on v1.4 from self-builders
and that has been very helpful. I have worked with Greg to get the JTSDK
in a more developer friendly form on Windows in the last couple of weeks
and I think that will encourage a few more to start using v1.4 built
from source.

Interestingly there was an unofficial version of v1.4 posted on the
HamApps forum
(https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HamApps/conversations/messages/6329)
and the uptake has been nil as far as I can see. I did post a follow up
to say that it was an unofficial alpha release with a few caveats about
support but still expected a few to try it out.