On 04/09/2014 20:48, Bill Somerville wrote:

Below are some updates on issues I reported that may be blocking for a
Beta release of WSJT-X v1.4:
> On 04/09/2014 19:24, Joe Taylor wrote:
>> Hi all,
> Hi Joe,
>> I'm home again after recent travels, once again getting back up to speed
>> on all the good things done by others.
> Hope the travels were enjoyable, I gather from Dave G4RGK that the WX in
> France wasn't too pleasant.
>> We have a lot of good new code, documentation, and development aids in
>> the repository.  Can we agree that it's reasonable to plan for a beta
>> release of WSJT-X v1.4 before too many more weeks have passed?
> I guess this is aimed at me more than most. I'd love to say "Yes let's
> do it!" but I'm afraid my opinion hasn't moved on much from the last
> time we had this discussion. For this I must apologise since I have not
> been able to apply as much effort since then as I would have liked. I
> have only really been able to respond to issue reports and requests and
> not the the core issues that I know are still there. Here is a quick
> summary:
>
> CAT in general - there is a fundamental flaw in the strategy I have used
> that can cause the frequency to walk up/down the band on some
> rig/interface combinations. I know basically how to fix it but the
> changes will need much testing since they lie largely in the remaining
> MainWindow class CAT code which is defect prone due its close coupling
> with the rest of the application logic.
Having said I would find some quality time to get this done, I am still
trying. I have spent some time trying to clear the decks in preparation,
see below.

> Hamlib FT817/857/897 enhancements - this project is currently stalled on
> what appears to be a show stopper. Unfortunately since I am relying on
> undocumented CAT commands for these rigs the non-cooperation of one of
> the key commands has stalled my efforts. I need to put in a lot of time
> trying to work around this issue before giving up since this rig group
> is such a popular and common feature in many shacks.
The issue I was struggling with turned out to be a bug in my code and
this has moved on greatly. I haven't pushed the results to my Hamlib-3
public fork just yet but that is imminent.

> HRD - recent issues raised by Mike W9MDB have revealed what appears to
> be serious problem talking to HRD when the HRD logbook is active. Given
> that one of the main reasons for using HRD to interface to the rig is
> because the user uses the HRD logbook, I believe this issue is critical
> for HRD users. Mike is helping with trying to get to the root cause
> which currently seems to be at the HRD end, but we don't know that for
> sure yet. Again undocumented commands are problematic since HRD don't
> document any of their TCP/IP interface.
Mike has done an excellent job of investigating and finally nailing the
source of this issue right in the Hamlib developers court after a bit of
work to improve our implementation and diagnostics. They seem to have
agreed and are looking at a possible resolution. Summary is don't expect
WSJT-X to be able to cooperate with HRD if you intend to run the HRD
Logbook or DM780 in parallel until they can address this issue.

> Documentation - when I asked if anyone would like to help with
> documentation of the new config and CAT features, Chase W4TI kindly
> offered to help and I thought we were making good progress with me
> feeding him technical details of the implementation and its implications
> and he starting to make extensive edits to the user guide. Unfortunately
> this effort stalled for which I must take some blame for not posting
> enough public information of our work progress. Chase has now stepped
> back from the project feeling that he was mislead and misinformed about
> what was needed. This is great shame as people stepping up to contribute
> are hard to find, but that is where we stand.
Joe is moving this forward.