On 19/09/2014 14:55, Joe Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi Joe,

> We seem to be converging on a release procedure something like the
> following:
>
> 1. Minor bug fixes and tweaks to the packaging scripts are OK, but from
> today no new program features will be added to WSJT-X before we freeze
> code for the candidate release of v1.4.
OK.

> 2. G4WJS may make a few more tweaks to the hamlib library.  (Important
> question for Bill:  How will the state of that library be effectively
> frozen into the tagged candidate release?)
That's tricky due the current dissociation due to manual building of
Hamlib-3. The best thing is probably to record the git SHA (equivalent
of SVN revision) and the repo URL somewhere. A text file in the WSJT-X
source directory will be a good place so it follows the tags and branches.

Same applies to Qt.

> 3. By 00:00 UTC Sept 26, one week from today, we'll agree on the SVN
> revision number of our mainline development branch,
> ".../branches/wsjtx", that will be tagged for the candidate release.
> We'll call the tag something like ".../tags/wsjtx-1.4.0-rc1".  Code in
> this tag is frozen forever.
OK.

> 4. Code in the new tag will be checked out, compiled, and packaged on
> each platform for which we'll provide a binary installation package.  It
> will also be made into a compressed source tarfile.
OK.

> 5. The tagged source code will be SVN-copied into a new branch,
> something like ".../branches/wsjtx-1.4".  Subsequent bug fixes to v1.4
> will be made there, and (if applicable) merged into the main development
> branch ".../branches/wsjtx".
No rush on this, it can be branched any time up to when the first bug
fix is due. Also in this new branch the RC number in Versions.cmake
should be bumped to 2 and not merged so that the id and package file
names of the next RC are generated correctly.

> 6. On Oct 1 I will post the new source-code tarfile at SourceForge and
> links to the binary packages (or instructions for obtaining and
> installing them) on the WSJT Home Page.
OK.

> 7. The mainline development branch will be bumped to v1.5.  Subsequent
> development (new program features, etc.) will take place there.
OK.

> Note: All of the above refers to WSJT-X only; activity in other branches
> of our repository may continue normally.
In line with that the tag and any branches should only contain the
WSJT-X code tree.

> Does this sound right?  Have I got something wrong, or left out anything
> important?
We need to carry out a similar process on the WSJT-X docs although that
need not necessarily happen until the final RC is deemed to be v1.4.0. I
don't think we want to exactly mirror the RC tags and branches for the
docs, I say this because IMHO merges on documents are often messy and
have many conflicts although if there is no activity on the "main line"
documents the merges will be trivial.

There are weak dependencies between the JTSDK and WSJT-X. Do we need to
tag and branch that as well?