On 12/09/2014 16:51, Joe Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi Joe,

> Consensus has it that an open Beta Release of WSJT-X v1.4 on or about
> October 1 makes good sense.
>
> Toward that end, here's a tentative version of an announcement that
> would be made on the wsjtgroup reflector -- our most active public forum
> for users.
>
> Please read the following carefully and suggest changes, additions, or
> deletions.
>
> I'm also looking for suggestions on the new WSJT-X User Guide.
>
> #######################################################################
>
> We invite you to download and install a Beta Release of the WSJT-X,
> version 1.4.  Download links are posted on the WSJT home page.
> (NB: the links are not yet there!)
>
> Important program changes in version 1.4 relative to v1.3, r3673 include
> the following:
>
> 1. Much improved CAT control for most radios, including expanded support
> for Commander, Ham Radio Deluxe, and OmniRig.  WSJT-X now simulates
> "Split" mode for rigs that do not have such a feature.
We should say that one way CAT control is no longer supported. Users may
choose no CAT control or have working two CAT control so that the
application can verify that the commands sent to the rig have been
executed. The most common causes of only having one way CAT control are
either bad wiring of interface cables (particularly serial cables with
broken or missing RxD connections) or RFI causing corruption of serial
data during transmission periods.

Split mode operation (JT65+JT9 mode) is now supported via HRD if HRD
provides the appropriate controls to enable split mode and set the rig
TX frequency.

> 2. New and far more flexible configuration screen.  Many options
> previously on the Setup menu now appear on the "Settings" screen.
Multiple spot operating frequencies per band can be set up. All
recognized amateur bands are supported and offsets for transverters can
set up.

> 3. Much smoothing and polishing of user interface.  Optional
> user-defined palettes for waterfall, user-defined fonts for Astronomical
> Data screen, etc.
Also user defined fonts for the main screen and decoded text areas.

> 4. JT65 decoder now accepts negative values of DT down to -3.2 s,
> eliminating most of the occasional "garbage decodes".
>
> 5. Better (glitch-free) behavior of audio streams.
>
> 6. Better handling of messages that include compound callsigns.
>
> 7. Support for standard "localization" conventions.
>
> 8. Writable files now appear platform-dependent standard locations.
This allows for more efficient installation on all platforms supported
and also allows settings to be seamlessly carried forward during future
program upgrades.

> 9. A new WSJT-X User Guide is available.  Additions and changes will
> continue, but most sections are now in good shape.  Click on
> http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main.html
> to read the manual.
>
> In addition, there are many internal changes to the project aimed at
> cleaning up the code, establishing a standard set of compile-and-build
> tools, and making the whole package more readily maintained by an active
> group.
>
> KNOWN PROBLEMS
> --------------
> WSJT-X does not cooperate properly with Ham Radio Deluxe when HRD
> Logbook or DM780 are also running in parallel.  This is an HRD issue,
> and we believe they are working to resolve it.
Due to the way that HRD provides external rig control to other
applications; it has not been possible to initially provide support for
all rigs via HRD. We have built in diagnostics that allow quick
identification of the extra support needed to support untested rigs via
HRD. We urge users that prefer to use HRD to control their rigs to try
this new version and report back results, we will then add any missing
support based on feedback from users as soon as possible.