On 22/10/2014 19:12, Joe Taylor wrote:
> Bill --
Hi Joe,

>>> Version 1.12 is a drop-in replacement for v1.11, on all platforms.  The
>>> comments in extract.F90 are obsolete (and should be removed).  I have
>>> not yet built kvasd 1.12 for OSX and ARM, so that still needs to be done.
>> I'm not sure that is correct. There is commented out code in extract.F90
>> that was waiting for 1.12. The reason being that WSJT-X has to run with
>> a cwd in a temporary directory and arrange to copy kvasd.dat into that
>> directory. IIRC the changes to kvasd 1.12 were to allow a full path to
>> kvasd.dat to be passed to kvasd and therefore allow it to be run from
>> any cwd.
>>
>> This all dates back to changes made to get rid of code writing files in
>> the install directories.
>>
>> The reason I put the code in to use the temporary directory cwd was
>> because at the time there was no Mac version of kavsd 1.12 produced.
>>
>> While the workaround in WSJT-X does work, it adds complexity and has
>> since had other impacts causing even more complexity.
> You're correct.  Version 1.12 will work as a drop-in replacement for
> v1.11, but it also has the enhancement that enables it to communicate
> with WSJT-X through a file defined by any pathname, rather than just
> kvasd.dat in the current working directory.
Good because I would like to simplify that code.

>> Currently the WSJT-X build still has the capability of fetching kvasd
>> and still does so for everything but Linux non-Debug configurations.
>> This is to make testing WSJT-X relatively seamless and also goes as far
>> as bundling kvasd into installers on Windows and Mac non-Debug configure
>> builds and packaging.
>>
>> Should I remove this capability?
> It seems to me that this capability should be retained.  So, after they
> have been tested by someone else beside me, I suppose the v1.12
> executables for all platforms should replace those now in the SVN
> repository under .../trunk/kvasd-binary ?
I believe the Windows and Linux 32 -bit ones there are already 1.12.

Given that SourceForge appear to allow it, I would prefer that since it
makes the minimum change to the WSJT-X build scripts and I believe Greg
also uses that as a source for for the add-on kvasd installer for Linux.

The most convenient directory names are:

Windows: Windows-x86
Mac: Darwin-i386
Linux Intel 32-bit: Linux-i686
Linux Intel 64-bit: Linux-x86_64
Linux ARM: Linux-armel (or Linux-armeb depending on endianness See below)

In general the directory name is:

`uname -s`-`uname -p`

on the target system where those uname commands are supported.

It would also be convenient to to have an MD5 checksum hash file with
each binary, but I can do that once they are in place.