Dear Colleagues,

I've given some thought recently to issues of Copyright, Licensing, and
attribution of credits related to our software. I want to share my
thinking with you and ask for possible input from others.

As I see it, we should work toward satisfying the following goals:

1. A basic notice of copyright, licensing, and warranty disclaimer
should be included in every distribution package and installed along
with the program.  Its content should be something like the following
text that Greg recently put into the file .../branches/wspr/COPYRIGHT in
our SVN repository:

Copyright (C) 2001-2014 by Joseph H Taylor, Jr, K1JT

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

2. A copy of GPLv3 should be installed along with our programs. See file
.../branches/wspr/COPYRIGHT.

3. To comply with GPLv3 we must provide all source code necessary to
build the program, or instructions on how to obtain it.  (I believe we
are already doing this.)

4. We should include suitable acknowledgments to individuals and
essential prior work that has made our program possible.  Suitable
places may be the Acknowledgments section of our User Guides, 'About'
windows in our programs, a 'README' file installed along with each
program, etc.  (I believe we are already doing this, too; but we should
be on the lookout for possible omissions or inconsistencies.)

5. In the case of KVASD, which implements the patent-licensed algorithm
for the Koetter-Vardy Algebraic Soft-Decision Reed-Solomon Decoder, we
must ensure that users who install it have seen and accepted the terms
of its End User License Agreement.

I should mention that among my motivations for again looking into these
matters was my recent examination of downloadable packages for the
program "JT65-HF HB9HQX-EDition", available on SourceForge.  There are
two packages: a Windows binary installer and a Source code package.
This program is licensed under GPLv2.  A 'readme' file says "The program
is mainly based on W6CQz, Joe Large's JT65-HF".  It does not mention WSJT.

The HB9HQX 'readme' file includes some highlights of program features,
including "Rapid decode result with singledecoder and multidecode." That
line caught my eye, so I started looking into whether he (or perhaps
someone else) had developed independent code for the JT65 protocol (as
specified in my September-October 2005 article in QEX,
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/JT65.pdf).  No: it turns out
that like W6CQZ in the original JT65-HF, and I guess anyone else who has
created a program that decodes JT65, he has simply taken code from our
WSJT repository, applied the "multi-decoding" ideas from MAP65, compiled
it into a windows dll, and used it pretty much as is, including
invocation of the closed-source KVASD decoder.

I have no problem with the use of our open-source code in another
program.  After all, that's a major reason for why it is open source!
Surely this can be done in the good ham spirit of sharing information
and techniques among enthusiastic hobbyists.  However, some necessary
issues related to copyright, licensing, and attribution must receive
suitable attention.  We have been somewhat lax about these things in the
past -- and so have some others making use of our code.

I have had some brief communication with "Beat", HB9HQX.  I believe he
is in agreement with most or all of the above, and will do what's
necessary to bring his version of JT65-HF into compliance with both our
license and his.  I am sending him a copy of this message.

Your comments and suggestions will be most welcome.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT