Hi Bill,

Nice job with the new band-hopping setup window.  Much better than my
quick-and-dirty setup using Tab 4.  :-)

> There was some discussion about picking any random band from the users
> configured bands when the scheduled band is not configured. This is
> potentially tricky because the user specified "tune up" is only
> specified for the 10 standard hopping bands. It would perhaps be better
> to specify the "tune up required" flag at the station list level rather
> than in the band hopping setup. That way it could be used for any band
> change in any mode.

I think an automatic ATU tuneup makes sense only after an automated band
change -- which occurs only in WSPR mode.  In other modes, band changes
are always initiated by an operator, and we can leave any necessary
tuneup to the operator's discretion, using the existing "Tune" button.

> I cannot work out the purpose of the 1/2 second sleep in the band
> hopping invocation, there is a comment asking if it is allowed to which
> the answer is not really as it is stalling the GUI thread which can have
> many unwanted consequences.

That's me.  I considered it a temporary fix to some timing problem.  I
knew it was bad practice.  Take it out, and see if any timing problems
arise.

> There is a potential issue with the timing of the user hardware
> executable and the tune up signal, the user hardware script is invoked
> asynchronously so even though there is a 1/4s delay before the audio
> starts there is no guarantee that the user hardware script has completed
> before the audio starts. I suspect this may lead to undesirable hot
> switching in some cases.

A better scheme may be possible.  Something much like this one has
worked well in traditional WSPR for some years.

> At a higher level: why is a tune up signal needed at all given that all
> the "slow mode" signals are pretty much indistinguishable from a carrier?

Because you may want your antenna tuned for Rx sequences, as well as Tx
sequences.

        -- Joe, K1JT