I fully understand that, but:

I can not find a download link for v 1.6 of any kind on either the wsjt site or
sourceforge
so even if I wanted to set up a development environment on a Windows machine
(or any
other machine) I couldn't do it.

For v 1.5 I can find Linux source and instructions on how to build on a Linux
platform,
but nothing about the requirments for building on a Windows platform.

Obviously all the above exists somewhere but there are no links to that
information that
I can find. Perhaps links on the wsjt development page like "for Linux, go
here, for Windows,
go here, for bleeding edge source, go here"?

By not having at least an occasional Windows "bleeding edge" package available
you
are missing out on a lot of potential testers.

FYI I have been doing software development for over 40 years now and have no
problem
with building my own, if I can find the source.