From: Steven Franke [mailto:s.j.fra...@icloud.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2015 9:47 AM
To: WSJT software development
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] wspr two-pass decoder status and .c2 file problem

Joe,
Frequency-sorting has now been committed.

It dawned on me that it is no longer really appropriate to insist that a
decoding candidate correspond to a local maximum in the average spectrum. I
tried this simple change:

$ diff wsprd_exp.c ~/Builds/wsjtx/lib/wsprd/wsprd_exp.c
848,850c848,849
<         for(j=1; j<410; j=j+2) {
< //            if((smspec[j]>smspec[j-1]) && (smspec[j]>smspec[j+1]) &&
(npk<200)) {
<             if((smspec[j]>min_snr) && (npk<200)) {
---
>         for(j=1; j<410; j++) {
>             if((smspec[j]>smspec[j-1]) && (smspec[j]>smspec[j+1]) &&
> (npk<200)) {

On my 20m wav files it gives us another 10% over the current wsprd_exp with
subtraction and two-passes, or a whopping 47% improvement over the current
default wsprd:

Default wsprd:             1315 in 163s
wsprd_exp:                  1758 in 270s
no peak requirement:   1934 in 1487s

With this change, a case that yields 16 decodes from the current wsprd_exp now
yields 19 decodes from one .wav file!

It is dog-slow as it stands. But I’m sure that there are things that we can do
to speed it up significantly. This might be a good application for openmpi, no?

Steve k9an