Hi Steve and all,

I have run a new series of tests of various WSPR decoders, with results
that may be of interest to others.

The test runs all used the same set of 386 *.wav files, processed with
the following decoders:

1. wsprd, from WSPR-X (baseline decoder)
2. wspr4
3. wsprd, as built for WSJT-X v1.6.0 r5636
4. wsprd_exp, signal subtraction using symbol-by-symbol coherence
5. wsprd_exp, subtraction with full coherence and test for local maxima
6. wsprd_exp, subtraction with full coherence and snr > min_snr

For each run the following table gives the number of decodes, the
wall-clock running time, the average time per wav file, and the
"improvement factor" for number of decodes and speed.

    Decodes Time1  AvgTime    Improvement   Decoder
              (s)    (s)    Decodes  Speed
1.  1451   2111     5.5     1.00    1.00   baseline
2.  1693   1599     4.1     1.17    1.32   wspr4
3.  2208    335     0.9     1.52    6.30   WSJT-X v1.6.0 r5636
4.  2464    413     1.1     1.70    5.11   partial coherence
5.  2567    431     1.1     1.77    4.90   full coherence
6.  2839   2136     5.5     1.96    0.99   more candidates

I think these results show some truly remarkable improvements in
performance!

Our slowest decoder, that used for run #6, is essentially the same speed
as the original decoder packaged with WSPR-X -- yet it produces twice as
many decodes!  Although it's arguably "fast enough" already, I am
confident that we can make it faster.  Run #5, which used the two-pass
decoder with full-coherence subtraction of decoded signals, is
impressive with respect to *both* speed and thoroughness.

        -- Joe, K1JT