FWIW ... Joe put together the original QSO protocol which effectively
shows six (6) transmissions, three (3) from the station calling CQ, and
three (3) from the station answering the CALL over what is effectively a
six minute period.

The 5th minute of the QSO is the CQ station sending RRR, which is a
final acknowledgement that all information for the QSO has been
transmitted and received.    The ONLY transmission in that protocol that
requires a 73, is the final transmission (6th minute0 by the answering
station which is effectively saying thanks for the QSO, over and
out.      There is no need for the calling station to do anything after
that, but call CQ for another QSO.

The use of the RRR 73 or RR73 really does NOT save any time, and really
tends to confuse users of WSJT-X who merely click on the decoded
transmission.  The program (as well as the JT65-HF clones) is not
expecting that, and has no idea on what to do next.

My six bits ...

Neil Z
KN3ILZ