On 25/11/2015 18:53, Michael Black wrote:
> So...given an accurate clock shouldn't 0 be the common result instead
> of 0.1?  Propagation shouldn't bump it up to 0.1, should it?
> And are you saying negative offsets are due to propagation since
> positive are only due to clock errors?
Positive DT values can only be due to program errors or clock errors (at
the sending station assuming accurate time at the receiving station)
otherwise we have invented time travel ;)

Negative DT values can be any number of things including program error,
clock errors, buffering and other processing latency and of course RF
path propagation delay.

I think I have that around the right way.

As the jt65sim generated .WAV files, which have exact signal timing i.e.
starting at 1s, are being decoded with -0.2s DT but two copies of WSJT-X
connected back to back show a 0.0s DT it would seem that we have a
correction applied somewhere in the receive processing of on-air signals
that adjusts the DT by an amount that removes "normal" latency from the
calculated DT figure.