Hi Igor,

On 2/24/2017 3:10 PM, Игорь UA3DJY wrote:

> Just to avoid any possible confusion: we have still been waiting
> for response from Joe K1JT on this subject.

I do not understand why you would be waiting for a response from me.

The purpose of the WSJT Development Group is to design digital protocols
for weak-signal communication, develop software to implement these
protocols, and make it available to the Amateur Radio community.  On
occasion we have aided the selection and adoption of conventional
frequencies on which our protocols can be used, but it is actually the
users themselves who make the important decisions.  We have never taken
a leading role in setting boundaries of sub-band segments for any
particular purpose, and -- speaking for myself -- I am certainly not
prepared to suddenly recommend commandeering 20 kHz of spectrum on any
HF band for exclusive use of JT65 and/or JT9.

While I have your attention, I must remind you of obligations you
assumed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) when you copied the
source code of WSJT-X, made some changes, and renamed it as
"JTDX vXX.X ... by UA3DJY".

1. Compliance with GPL requires that a derivative work (such as JTDX)
must be licensed in a compatible manner.  Just saying "It is open source
software distributed under the GPL v3 license" is not enough.

Apparently a significant fraction of JTDX distribution takes place from
the web site http://jt65-dx.com/download/wsjtx-ua3djy.html .

2. I see nothing on that web site mentioning any license requirement.

3. I see a JTDX screen shot in which the main window title is given as
"WSJT-X v1.7.0-devel JTDX v16.6 ... by UA3DJY."  We have never released
a program called "WSJT-X v1.7.0-devel", so I would not expect to see
such a designation on a derivative work.

4. Describing JTDX as "by UA3DJY" is surely misleading, and a violation
of the copyrights on our code.  Probably >90% of code in your derivative
work was written by someone other than yourself.

6. Finally: if you were truly committed to the Free Open Source Software
(FOSS) philosophy, I would expect your development work to be organized
in a way so that can give back to, as well as take from, the amateur
software development community.  I can see no evidence that you are
doing this, for example with an open source-code repository.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT