On 18/10/2017 01:27 p.m., Bill Somerville wrote:
Having
both parties to a QSO on the same frequency is conceptually simpler but
in theory one party may have QRM from half of another QSO or local QRN,
in that case moving improves the number of successful QSOs overall.

For us DX stations who make most of our contacts in pileups, it's actually BETTER to have folks transmitting wherever they can find a clear spot in their own RX bandpass, rather than always on their QSO partner's transmit frequency.

On PSK31, for example, where simplex is the norm, I have a terrible problem with that - when ten or twelve people are calling me on my exact freq, I copy NO ONE, including, often, the party with whom I am having a current QSO. On FT8, on the other hand, it's an advantage to have them scattered throughout my RX bandpass, because more of them get decoded, and the guy I am currently working is less likely to be QRMed, and I can pick and choose among the calling stations.

So, the more I think about it, the better I like not having TX and RX locked together. Everyone just needs to get used to the idea that, on FT8, the other guy doesn't need to be on your exact frequency. As long as he's in your RX bandpass, you can decode his sequences, work him efficiently, and it's OK.

Scott Bidstrup
TI3/W7RI