Hi Take San,

you are quite correct and a different protocol using a higher symbol rate for the Fox has been considered, this would allow a single constant envelope signal to be transmitted without any need for power adjustments to compensate for IMD products. It also has another benefit in that the Fox callsign need only be encoded once for any transmission period rather than the current protocol where each individual message slot needs messages including the the Fox callsign or a hash representing it. This last encoding gain is indeed attractive along with the constant envelope attribute but overall under time pressure to get the mode working, developing a whole new source encoding and protocol for Fox messages was considered too big a step. For now the Fox messages use near identical source encoding as other FT8 messages and are sent at the exact same symbol rate with identical FEC and checksum attributes, the only difference other than message content is the use of one of the three spare payload bits added when FT8 was initially developed.