On 6/30/2018 7:14 AM, Black Michael via wsjt-devel wrote:
Tons of ops calling KH7Z when they can't see them.  I assume this only causes problems as it's quite possible KH7Z with their honker antennas and can see them but not the other way round.

It's not "big honker antennas" -- the expedition is limited to verticals by Fish and Wildlife. It's more likely their lack of noise (the only that can be on the island is THEIRS) -- and the relatively high noise levels of the stations trying to work them.

  So KH7Z will put them in
the queue and try to process them taking up the limited slots they are using right now (2 from what I've seen).  IMHO the solution to this is pretty simple....when you turn on Hound or switch bands you should be PREVENTED FROM TRANSMITTING UNTIL YOU GET CQ FRO THE DX STATION.    So, you would be required to double-click on a CQ to allow transmitting.

I've worked them on three bands, the first time monitoring for at least an hour and not seeing their CQ. I came to the conclusion that they were not calling CQ, so I double clicked on one of their transmissions and started calling them. After three calls, I had a QSO in the log. I did the same for the two other QSOs.

I've been concentrating on studying and teaching hams how to find and kill receive noise. My most recent efforts are here. One is text, the other is the slide show for talks I've done at ham events.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf
http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

If you find yourself giving much weaker (more negative) signal reports than you receive, it's likely that noise is a problem for you, and that finding and killing it will do more for your on-air success than anything else you try.

73, Jim K9YC