The description in the WSJT-X source is using the terminology of WSJT-X as the
server and anybody talking to it as clients.

There are simply messages from and to wsjt-x.
You'll note that every message described shows Out/In capability.Out means from
wsjt-x....In means to wsjt-x.
The heartbeat is Out/In and expects one heartbeat message from a client as
described in the message info.  The response will be a heartbeat message too.
de Mike W9MDB

    On Monday, October 14, 2019, 11:22:34 PM CDT, Michael Pittaro