On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com>
wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> clients must discover the server they talk to somehow. For example web
> servers are discovered via hypertext links or by typing a web server
> address and port number into the client user interface of the client web
> browser. It should be no surprise that a client has to be told what server
> it is expected to communicate with. the server already knows what it is, it
> is the client that needs to be told about servers.
>
> 73
> Bill
> G4WJS.

Bill,

I 100% agree.  But you have an advantage - you designed and wrote the
code.  You _know_ wsjt-x is a client.  There's nothing in the user guide or
UI to tell me wsjt-x is a client.  Or even give me a hint.  I interpreted
the server and port fields as the address and port for the (non-existent)
wsjt-x server to listen on.   I had a 50/50 chance to get it right, and I
took i :-).  I got it wrong, and learned a bunch is the process :-)  I'm
attaching my proposed UI usability enhancement...

[image: ui_enhancement.png]

On a more serious note, now that I have switched things around, I'm able to
talk to wsjt-x over the UDP connection.  Thanks for all the assistance - it
has been helpful and educational.

mike, kj6vcp