On 06/06/2020 19:55, Topher Petty wrote:
Out of curiosity, why not list hamlib as a prerequisite and have people install it separately, so that those of us that already use it and keep it updated don't have duplicated libraries on our systems that can potentially cause version conflicts?
Hamlib has installers for windows and Mac on the git site, iirc..
I just tracked down difficulties I was having with SKCClogger and FLDIGI to the differing versions of hamlib installed on my system, and un-installing wsjtx fixed those other two bits of software... Going to bump up to 2.2.1 to test... Crossing my fingers I don't get to play "lib track bingo" again.

73 de AI8W, Chris

Hi Chris,

the last release of Hamlib was several Years ago. Although the project has active development it is rather overdue for a new release. We have worked with a snapshot of Hamlib, which we would prefer to bundle with WSJT-X, at least until an official release with support for current rigs is available. We have over the last several versions included some patches that were ahead of even the Hamlib master branch, all of those have been submitted and accepted by the Hamlib developers. We would either have to deny a lot of users support for their new rigs or ask them to install versions of Hamlib that may clash with other appliactions or system installed versions. By static linking Hamlib we avoid that mess, unfortunately most Linux distributions object to static linking other projects's libraries so the package maintainers have to unpick out build scripts to comply. We would gladly revert to having WSJT-X dynamically link to Hamlib, just like it does with Qt and FFTW3 but on balance at the moment it is not the best option for users. That may change soon.

Note that your assertion that the Hamlib used with WSJT-X might cause conflicts is rubbish, the WSJT-X exposes nothing from the Hamlib it uses. There are no version conflicts unless you have messed with our build scripts.