In my WSJT-X.ini file, I've got:

SoundInName=IC-7100_Rx (3- USB Audio CODEC )
SoundOutName=IC-7100_TX (3- USB Audio CODEC )

I can't see anything changing with that device in Device Manager when it stops
working, so there's something else going on.

Obviously there's a mapping from the text names above to some numeric
identifier, and that's the thing that changes whenever something disturbs
Windows.

Durned if I can figure out what it is or if there's an easy way for WSJT to
figure out that it's changed.

73, Willie N1JBJ