Jim,

FYI - Neil and James don't believe a clear frequency matters based on past
conversations I have had with them. I contend they have never tried chasing
DX where every path starts at 8000 miles (ie out of VK). The standard FT8
channels are so congested these days that trying to target working
particular stations can be futile because I can't find (and don't know) a
clear RX slot at the other end of the path to try calling on. I have called
it the "hidden transmitter" syndrome in a conversation with Joe K1JT in the
past, but he didn't seem to understand the reference (it was an old
description of CSMA problems we used to have on AX.25 packet nets when not
everyone could hear everyone). A similar situation impacts the
decision making when picking a channel to transmit on today in FT8 - which
notably Phil Karn KA9Q also has picked up on in some of his recent posts to
the list.

As for the choice of 40m FT4 frequency - I had quite animated arguments
with Bill Somerville about it - and all logic fell on deaf ears. Through my
IARU global HF band planning reform proposals I am hoping we can finally
address that injustice.

Best regards,
Grant VK5GR
IARU R3 HF Band Planning Chair