> I tried and failed, but I thought my problem was in the way IE handled
the data.  I'd love to be proven wrong:

It works for me, hacking watir.rb with hardcoded credentials like so -

        def goto( url )
                user = "username"
                pass = "password"
                auth = "Authorization: Basic " +
                        Base64.encode64(user + ":" + pass) + "\015\012"
                @ie.navigate(url, nil, nil, nil, auth)
                wait()
                sleep 0.2
                return @down_load_time
        end

I added a "require 'base64'" near the top.

This is working for a site that's a huge mess of nested frames plus a
swarm of small js, image, and css files, etc.  I noticed that you
hardcoded the base64 encoding of the credentials.  Did you try to do it
by doing the encoding on the fly?

To productize it, I'd recommending adding a credentials method like
Win32::IE::Mechanize uses.

-Danny