John,

> However, I believe you are seriously misreading Heinz (with whom I have
> now worked for a couple of years) and Oleksandr.  Yes, they should (make
> that "must") publish the code but I also realize they are two honest and
> sincere fellows with full time jobs outside of X2Go who have given us an
> enormous project with no significant financial backing of which I'm
> aware.  Sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day (week,
> month) to get it all done.  Perhaps we may disagree with their
> priorities but let's not think there is some malicious, hidden agenda.
> Receiving such emails probably does more to make them wonder why they
> ever launched this project than it does to help the situation.
Come on, that is ridiculous! The GPL is valid for everybody, doesn't
matter that they have full-time jobs and that the day has not enough
hours!
Heinz promised us on July 15th that GIT and source access is the "next
thing" to get his hands on. Now it's two months later and nothing
happened. I have clients wanting to modify and extend x2go - they want
to pay me for that. It is absolutely embarassing to tell them this
situation.

X2go would be the greatest thing in the world if these guys stopped
blocking the community contributions! Why do they have time to develop a
plugin but not for setting up git (5 minutes)? Why do they follow
invitations and hold a talk about x2go at Linuxstammtisch Munich?

I'd love to go to that talk and tell them: guys, this talk will end 10
minutes earlier and we gonna setup GIT!

Why do they have time to write heaps of mails with excuses? Why do they
have time for publicity things?

> I am painfully familiar with being a completely overwhelmed open source
> maintainer.  Sometimes there is not even enough time to enable
> volunteers who are willing to help (set up git, wiki, code, etc.) to
> help.  It can just feel completely overwhelming.  So let's please
> contribute, guide, even positively correct but let's not jump up and
> down on the dev's heads. That doesn't help at all.  I'm am sincerely
> grateful for what Heinz and Oleksandr have done despite my concerns
> which are very close to yours.  Peace - John
If it is overwhelming, you should get somebody else to manage the
project. They have the position of the project leaders and the
responsability. If it comes to court, they can explain to the judge that
they have felt overwhelming with following the law!

For what should I be thankful? That all my customers that wanna do
something with x2go run away? Because they block all my contributions
for months? That I couldn't get on in the garden today since I was busy
with this stuff?

What would you tell your clients if they ask you to do this and that
with x2go? And you say: Nope, I cannot! And they say: Whaaat, isn't it
Open Source? :(

It is so embarassing and frustrating...

You have no way to help them, they have no time and they even ignore it
when you want to enforce your right.

If I count all the mails and execuses it must have taken them a lot more
time than just setting up this bloody git!

Jörg

> PS - regarding the plugin specifically, I believe they have made it
> clear that the plugin is NOT released.  They have kindly responded to
> requests for access to the plugin by list members by making it
> available.  Perhaps now they wish they had not been so kind and kept it
> under wraps until it was ready for release including source.
The plugin is available online! As soon as you publish binaries you MUST
publish sources according to GPL. Released or not!