On 02/03/2011 02:26 PM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 13:54 -0500, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> On 02/03/2011 01:38 PM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>> The only reliable solution we have seen so far is X2Go over commercial
>>> Xming.  Thus, for X2Go to be production worthy for Windows users, we
>>> must either fix Xming or vcxsrv.  Xming is literally antagonistic to
>>> X2Go so our best bet is vcxsrv.  Let's hope the vcxsrv devs are able to
>>> fix this and we will devote whatever resources we can to work on it as
>>> well.  As always, thanks - John
>>>

>> John, that has been our assessment as well.
>>
>> We've demoed x2go to some clients and let them work with it and we
>> definitely need to have an Xserver that is stable and reliable.  And
>> right now that is not the case.  And I'm getting pushback from the
>> clients about the mouse issue and restarts.  For us xming commercial is
>> something we're looking at but that very much muddies up things with a
>> restrictive license.  If anyone has any ideas about how to produce some
>> meaningful debug information with either Xming or VcXsrv that could lead
>> to helping fix these problems please share it with us.  We'll be glad to
>> help with testing.
>>
> <snip>
> That would be very appreciated.  I think the next step is already in
> motion; Phil has contacted the vcxsrv devs with whom he seems to get on
> well.  In the meantime, we can slot in the bits into the code to make it
> work with either X server and to call it when we have the session
> information as opposed to before like it is now.  That will give us
> rootless and fullscreen capabilities.  It will be even better if we can
> detect if there is an existing multiwindow.   We need to do all that
> regardless of whom we ultimately use.
>
> Alex, we would actually prefer you do that as we truly are not
> developers.  Do you have time for that portion, i.e., not fixing vcxsrv
> but simply changing the X2Go Client code? If, not, we'll take our best
> stab at it.
>
> Gerry, if we find the vcxsrv folks are not able to get to this right
> away, do you have anyone with X skills who could troubleshoot and fix
> it? That's way out of our league.  Thanks, all - John

John, if I did we'd have fixed it already. :-)

X is not within our skill sets.

General question, is it possible to build a debug version of X?  Can X
be run under the control of a debugger?  If so, maybe breakpoints could
be set until we narrowed down the section of code causing the problem or
maybe we could tell where it was from a core file.  Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Gerry