Hi Michael,

On  So 16 Mär 2014 17:16:35 CET, Michael DePaulo wrote:

As I mentioned on IRC, I accidentally applied the commit to the master
branch. Let me know how you want me to proceed.

The way to do such a dual branch commit properly is this:

  o Checkout the release/4.0.1.x branch
  o Fix the code there.
  o Add a changelog entry for the upcoming release on that branch
    (4.0.1.4).
  o Add the "(Fixes: #nnn)." identifier to the changelog entry
  o commit everything together on that release branch

  o then do a git checkout master
  o cherry-pick that special commit from the release/4.0.1.x branch
    to the master branch
  o if you are lucky (mostly) the commit will apply cleanly to the
    code base on the master branch
  o if you are unlucky, resolve the conflicts manually (if you need
    help on this, we can join up on IRC for a session once that happens)
  o the changelog entry should automatically appear in the master
    branch's changelog file at the correct position

  o push everything to git.x2go.org

The way to fix a commit that does not have a "(Fixes: #nnn)." statement:

  o revert that commit
  o re-cherry-pick the fixing commit
  o do a "git reset HEAD~"
  o fix-up the changelog
  o and re-commit the amended changelog together with the
    code fixup

For the current situation, I would only:

  o move the changelog entry to the stanza for 4.0.1.4 (on master
    branch)
  o copy the changelog entry
  o checkout release/4.0.1.x branch
  o paste the copied changelog entry to that branch's changelog file
  o commit the updated changelog
  o push it

Also, since it is a regression, I would like to spend until the end of
Monday (tomorrow) night looking into bug 448 and hopefully fixing it
by then.

We should definitely see to that. Thanks for taking over that task. Take more time if needed.

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM