On Friday, February 8, 2002, at 04:40 AM, Kimbro Staken wrote:
It's widely used though, simply because dbXML, eXist and now Xindice use it. It may not be used in any big installations, but it is definitely used in a whole bunch of little ones.

There's also one big installation that was decorating java.sun.com for a week or so.

When it comes to API I tend to think less is more....

I agree.

And I think Services are a great example of Less Is More. The Collection interfaces do the bare minimum as far as allowing access to the underlying data store. Services give vendors the option of providing more. the wrong path would have been trying to add querying, management, and transaction capabilities to the Collection interfaces themselves, as it would be a bold assumption to defined methods that people may never be capable of implementing, or may have to implement in a completely different fashion. So maybe we add Services to Database as well, but I think you very much underestimate their value at the Collection level.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Apache Xindice (Native XML Database) - http://xml.apache.org