Rick Green wrote:

 some snipped...

Also sounds like the maintainer of the Ubuntu .deb package could add a dependency that would force install of one of those packages when installing xastir.

Mea Culpa
It is listed as a "should have" but not as a "must have". so in my haste I blithely ignored it.

As a result I seem to have hijacked not one but two mailing lists :) My grateful thanks for your forebearance!

It now all works as advertised. IMHO the mapping system is much more powerful than UI-view, to which I doubt that I will return.

Well done to all the developers and contributors

--
de VK3XCI
Norm in Mildura, QF15bt