At 02:40 PM 7/19/2007, Curt, WE7U wrote:
That said, there's no reason not to approach him and ask him what's
up with the possible fees.  There may be none or they may be low
enough that it's a don't care.  Or:  They may be high and then legal
advice might be necessary to figure out what's possible.

I'm pretty much a pack rat -- here's the SECOND paragraph of commercl.txt from the zip file I downloaded on 1/17/99:

COMMERCIAL VERSIONS OF APRS ARE AVAILABLE and we can engineer specific
needs and applications.  Pricing is $295 for the first dispatcher
copy of APRS which includes up to 10 mobiles.  Additional copies of
APRS are deeply discounted.  $195 for the second copy and $95 for the
third.  Additional mobiles begin at $25 and are similarly discounted
for large quantities.  Additional copies of APRS for mobiles with PC's are
significantly less.  Two significant enhancements for the dispatcher are
the OPTIONAL data interfaces so that APRS CAN SEND POSITS TO OTHER SOFTWARE
PACKAGES.  Some of these other packages can zoom into the individual street
address and access other data bases for dispatching of fleet vehicles.
There are currently two such interfaces:

        7 3
        Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk