Xbmc wiki is correct. Specifically the part about
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on_unicode_paths#OpenElec is
correct, though it generally say unicode is always safe elsewhere on the
same page. But it's not openelec specific btw.
Then this ofc. implies
http://docs.python.org/2/howto/unicode.html#unicode-filenames is wrong.