As Christopher notes, it is an additional attack surface. Also I would like
to not have to worry about an additional named instance running in my
network which I am not using. If it is not currently possible to prevent
the local named daemon on the MN from starting when makedns is run, can
that behavior be changed in a future xCAT version if you want an external
master only?

I'm still curious as to whether the /var/named/ directory would have any
zone files locally on the MN in the case where named is running locally but
you are pushing updates to an external DNS server, or whether it only
pushes zone entries out to the DNS server specified with 'makedns -e' (as
it should).

-Josh

<<inline: graycol.gif>>