Philippe Gerum wrote:

Jan Kiszka wrote:

Philippe Gerum wrote:

Heikki Lindholm wrote:

Jan Kiszka kirjoitti:

Heikki Lindholm wrote:

Jan Kiszka kirjoitti:

Hi,

I'm dumb x86 user who unfortunately just seem to have tumbled in the
cross-compilation trap: I'm trying to generate i586 code on a fancy
new
and fast x86_64 compilation host. I got the kernel compiled with
ARCH=i386, using only the pre-installed compiler (i.e. no dedicated
cross tool chain), but I failed to compile xenomai against that
kernel
in the following. Which magic switch do I have to apply and where?

As dumb a guess: -m32 compiler switch?

Yes, I know, that would help. But where to feed this argument into the
build system?

I would try makefile (and perhaps config/kconfig/Makefile*) and
command line 'CC="gcc -m32" CXX="gcc -m32" make menuconfig/install' to
be sure.

You should be able to do that just by reconfiguring:

cd build && make reconfig CC="gcc -m32"

... would have been too easy: :-/

[after "make menuconfig ARCH=i386"]
gcchost2:/tmp/xenomai/build # make reconfig CC="gcc -m32"
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/xenomai/build'
configure: error: unrecognized option: -m32
Try `/tmp/xenomai/configure --help' for more information.
make[1]: *** [config.status] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xenomai/build'
make: *** [reconfig] Error 2

make reconfig CC="\"gcc -m32\""

Quoting - I like it...

Ok, one step further. Now I get on "make":

[...]
make[3]: Entering directory `/tmp/xenomai/build/arch/i386/hal'
make: invalid option -- 3
make: invalid option -- 2
Usage: make [options] [target] ...
  -b, -m                      Ignored for compatibility.
[...]
This program built for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Report bugs to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
make[3]: *** [xeno_hal.ko] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xenomai/build/arch/i386/hal'

(Ok, ok, we'll get rid of autoconf for kernel modules in 2.1...)

Might solve it. But meanwhile, isn't there a chance to do it as the
kernel already does within autoconf/automake?

Probably grabbing more stuff from the kernel cflags into XENO_ARCH_FLAGS (e.g. -m[0-9]* to start with). Gilles, would this be ok?

--

Philippe.