Hi,

coming from xenomai 2.x and debian8 i would advice to skip debian9 and
go for debian10 right away. You will probably face the same issues and
possibly more, but why go for oldstable if you invest today?
Depending on your timeline you might even want to look at debian11.
There is no ipipe-5.4.y yet but you can assume that this version will
be supported eventually. In the meantime you could try debian11 with
4.19.

regards,
Henning