Hey Michael,

Sure - that's true for validating. But I'm talking about non-validating processing.

For example, Xerces is a dual mode parser: it can operate in validating
mode, or in non-validating (well-formedness checking) mode.

In non-validating mode, if standalone='yes' there is by definition
no value in processing the external subset, per section 2.9 of the XML spec:
"
In a standalone document declaration, the value "yes" indicates that there
are no external markup declarations which affect the information passed
from the XML processor to the application.
"

I think that it is reasonable behavior for the parser to act
on the supplied value for 'standalone'.

The fact that xerces can operate in a mode which is non-validating does not make it a non-validating parser. It is a validating parser. However, I do agree that it may be desirable to take standalone='yes' at face value. We could introduce a property that enabled a user to say "don't bother to check if standalone='true'" is correct. What do others think about this?

Gareth

-- Gareth Reakes, Managing Director Parthenon Computing +44-1865-811184 http://www.parthcomp.com