On Sep 8, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Will Robertson wrote (quoting me):

>> Crop, Bleed and Trim are standard printing terms and the usage reflects
>> that. Media is used to describe the underlying page size to which one would
>> likely be printing the file and art is what one wants people to see.
>
> And how do these behave? In all cases, is the PDF cropped to whichever
> bounding box is specified? Or do they just relate to the alignment of the
> inserted box? Or does it vary between them?

Crop box determines what is visible when the file is opened in a .pdf viewing
program, usually 0.

Bleed box determines the amount of ``bleed'' which a file has, which is what is
printed beyond the trim area so as to allow printing to go up to the trim and
``bleed'' off. Given modern printing equipment 1/8" (9 bp) is typical --- the
metric equivalent usually rounds down to 3mm.

Trim box determines what the publication's final size will be after it is
folded (if necessary) and cut.

Here's some code which I worked out w/ the help of the list to make a file w/ a
trim box:

\documentclass{minimal}

\usepackage[paperwidth=630bp,paperheight=810bp]{geometry}

\usepackage{atbegshi}
\AtBeginShipout{\special{pdf: put @thispage <</TrimBox [9.0 9.0 621.0 801.0]>>}}

\pagestyle{empty}

\special{pdf: put @thispage <</TrimBox [9.0 9.0 621.0 801.0]>>}
\begin{document}
Test
\newpage
Test
\end{document}

HTH! Please feel free to include any of the above text in any documentation /
wiki where it might be useful.

William

--
William Adams