On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Javier Kohen wrote:

> Regarding: Incorrect DPI calculation

> (II) MGA(0): I2C bus "DDC" initialized.
> (II) MGA(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered.
> (II) MGA(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
> (II) MGA(0): I2C Monitor info: (nil)
> (II) MGA(0): end of I2C Monitor info
>
> (--) MGA(0): No DDC signal
> (II) MGA(0): DDC Monitor info: (nil)
> (II) MGA(0): end of DDC Monitor info

> (**) MGA(0): Display dimensions: (524, 392) mm
> (**) MGA(0): DPI set to (99, 99)

> Repeat By:
>
> Set ScreenSize option in the Monitor section of the configuration.
> Aditionally define a Display subsection in your Screen section
> containing at least one entry in the Modes line (eg. 1024x768) and a
> Virtual configuration bigger than zero and different from the above
> resolution.
> The DPI will be calculated from the Virtual screen size where, what
> matters here IMO, is the actual screen resolution.
> That is, given these -cut down to a minimum- settings:
> Section "Monitor"
>   DisplaySize    262 196
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
>   Subsection "Display"
>     Modes           "1024x768"
>     Virtual         2048 1536
>   EndSubsection
> EndSection
>
> I get the following output from xdpyinfo:
>   dimensions:    2048x1536 pixels (263x196 millimeters)
>   resolution:    198x199 dots per inch
>
> Where it's clear the resolution should be just half that.

True, but you could have:

> Section "Screen"
>   Subsection "Display"
>     Modes           "1024x768"
>     Modes           "800x600"
>     Modes           "640x480"
>     Virtual         2048 1536
>   EndSubsection
> EndSection

so that you can use <ctl><alt><keypad+> and <ctl><alt><keypad->
to cycle through the modes.
Unfortunately the dpi doesn't change when you switch modes,
so which size should we use to calculate dpi ?

By using interlace and multiplying up the horizontal timing,
I can get my 1280x1024 CRT monitor to display a 2048x1536 picture -
several pixels get averaged together, but for an overview of the
virtual desktop that is fine. However it isn't comfortable for
continuous use, so although I have a section like:

> Section "Screen"
>   Subsection "Display"
>     Modes           "1280x1024"
>     Modes           "1024x768"
>     Modes           "800x600"
>     Modes           "640x480"
>     Modes           "2048x1536"
>     Virtual         2048 1536
>   EndSubsection
> EndSection

I want X to calculate the dpi from the mode I use most (1280x1024).
So I wouldn't be any happier if the dpi was calculated from the largest
Modes instead of the Virtual size.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna