Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

Unfortunately the dpi doesn't change when you switch modes,
so which size should we use to calculate dpi ?

By using interlace and multiplying up the horizontal timing,
I can get my 1280x1024 CRT monitor to display a 2048x1536 picture -
several pixels get averaged together, but for an overview of the
virtual desktop that is fine. However it isn't comfortable for
continuous use, so although I have a section like:

[...]

I want X to calculate the dpi from the mode I use most (1280x1024).
So I wouldn't be any happier if the dpi was calculated from the largest Modes instead of the Virtual size.

I don't know about X internals, what restrains X from calculating DPI once the mode is switched? Or perhaps the apps arer going to be somehow impacted?