To get from a terminal to X, it's usually Alt-F7 (ttys 1-6 are commonly
getty login instances).  Also there is a program called 'su' which allows
you to become the root user.

You should check out debian's install documentation from their website.
It will help you get accustomed to the basics of the system.  Debian
offers a ton of great documentation, on the web, and which you can
download as .deb packages (use dselect, and go to the Optional/docs
section).

Jesse