[This is the third time I've tried to subscribe. Last two times, the
subscribe emails were returned as 'undeliverable' - seems the host I
was using could not send the email, so I'm trying my ISP's servers now,
slow as they are.]

Howdy!

I've a question about running XFree86 v4 on a Starmax using an 8MB MMII
that was originally intended for use in a PC.

I re-flashed the card with a PPC BIOS. MacOS 9 is quite happy to use
the card now. Openfirmware gladly uses it, too. Debian 3 uses the card
just fine in text mode.

However, when running X, the displayed image (root image) is shifted down
about 16 scan lines, leaving a green-and-black multi-checkerboard at the top.
The hardware mouse cursor is positioned correctly, but since the image
displayed is shifted down 16 pixels or so, the registration is wrong. I also
lose the bottom 16 or so lines of the display.

I've tried everything I know to try to work around this. Is this a programming
bug? Is it referencing the card's memory wrong? Any ideas on 'correcting'
the problem?

Clearly, I could go buy a Mac-specific video card, but since MacOS happily
uses this card, I should think XFree86 would, too.

Thanks,
Neal