On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Dr Andrew C Aitchison writes:
>  > On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:
>  >
>  > > I am currently using RC2 (upgraded yesterday from 4.2.1) and is irritated
>  > > by a 8-9 second freeze of X when switching to X from the console. This
>  > > seems to happen because X is set to use a mouse repeater (that does not
>  > > respond to commands), combined with that X resets the mouse when swithing
>  > > to X from the console. This (long) freeze did not happen in 4.2.1, but
>  > > probably changed with these:
>  >
>  > I have the same long freeze, but am not, as far as I am aware, using a
>  > repeater. I do have two mice, which doubles the delay.
>
> Could you please verify this? You just need to check where the mouse
> device points to.
> Real mice really should not have much delay. If you delay is really
> long you should edit pnp.c in the xfree86/input/mouse directory
> and add a
> #define EXTMOUSEDEBUG
> #define DEBUG
> to the file. Please send me the log file.

% uname -sr
Linux 2.2.22-6.2.3

I had two mice entries in my layout:
        /dev/mouse -> /dev/psaux
and
        /dev/input/mice
and after switching back the the vt with the Xserver I get a delay
of ~10 seconds between the first window being drawn and the colour map
being restored.
Removing the /dev/input/mice entry removes the delay,
but if it is enabled the delay is the same whether I have a mouse
connected or not.

Log file available at
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna/free86-devel/log.debug.mouse.delay
(it has some extra debug info from my experiments at 8bit visuals on a
24bit screen).

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna